Many larger institutions have teams of Prospect Researchers and Development Officers. They can work as a dynamic, collaborative team based on a mutual vision and trust. Or they can be like many Development teams. Fragmented, communicating poorly, seeing different priorities. It’s common to see quality Prospect Research leads produced and poorly used if not ignored by Development Officers. I have a deep understanding of the skill sets needed to succeed in prospecting, common mistakes teams make, system requirements and hidden issues.
My 34 years in the field and 20 years of knowledge in Major Gifts Prospecting can help you analyze and see what’s hard to see, even for veteran development leaders. Often, we are “too close” to see what’s going on, and an outside, impartial analysis can help us fix and improve our Major Gifts Prospecting system. My goal is to leave you with a dynamic, integrated prospecting system that will pay you and your institution long term dividends. A consistent and high quality pipeline of new Major Gifts prospects. You will be the “first” at the door of new wealth, new philanthropists. Your team will spot wealth trends in your alumni, community and be in front of them. Your team will work as a trusting partnership.
About My Experience I learned the detailed mechanics and human dynamics of Major Gifts prospecting while a Cornell Fund and Leadership Gifts Officer on Cornell University's landmark $1 Billion campaign. The first one declared at that level. I also worked at Cal Berkeley's campaign prospecting and building new Major Gifts committee's on the East Coast.
Since that time I have designed my own prospecting systems, some small and simple and others large and complex. My creation of a dynamic prospecting system at the San Francisco Opera generated the two largest gifts to an American Opera in history at $35 and $40 million. Through my own work, consulting and training I have helped institutions fine tune their Major Gifts efforts nationally and abroad.
I am also a nationally known and trusted advocate for Prospect Research staff and Development officers.
Deliverables in an Assessment
Interviews with Key Staff
Research on Prospect Pipelines
Development Officer Skills Assessment
Prospect Researcher Skill Assessment
Studying your Protocols and Procedures
Studying if you have the correct tech resources
Comprehensive Final Confidential Report and Recommendations
Supporting ongoing Consulting,Training and Coaching
Deliverable vary by client. This is a basic set and sample .
Does your team need a Major Gifts Prospecting Consulting and Assessment? Here are some simple questions to ask your Team.
1. Do your gifts officers effectively follow up on all research leads? Do you have any way of assessing their effectiveness?
2. Once your gifts officers have gained an appointment with a prospect do, they have the skills to qualify research leads? Do they know what to ask and look for to identify donor interests, capability and intentions?
3. Does your research office proactively drive the prospecting process? How closely do they work with your front-line gift officers?
4. How do you monitor donor matriculation from identification, qualification, cultivation and solicitation?
5. Do your gifts officers recognize prospecting as an essential part of their jobs? Do you reward successful prospecting?
6. Do your events support your prospecting efforts?
7. Do your gifts officers feel like prospecting is a management priority?
8. Do you need an electronic screening? What are the important factors you need to have for your institution in that screening?
9. If you purchase an electronic screening will you be able to effectively follow up on your new prospects?
If you are not able to answer affirmatively to most of these questions if your not sure then let’s talk about my services and supports.